Thursday 14 April 2022

Work Placement

 My work placement is at a laboratory called Laboratorio Bioclon. They are located in the El Palo area which is about 40 minutes away from the accommodation. They provide services/tests related to general health, fertility, genetics, STD's and biology.


So far my role has consisted of shadowing my scientist colleagues as they perform different kinds of tests and do administrative work in order for me to learn how to do it.


The positives of my work placement are the interesting tests and procedures I have learnt how to conduct, my colleagues and supervisor and some of the administrative work. 

My favourite test so far is the one that tests for several things, including vitamin D presence in blood. It involves the use of a machine which carries out pipetting, which is a time consuming task. The machine makes the whole process much more efficient.

My colleagues are all very nice and helpful. It has made the experience simply wonderful and so educational.

Making sure all of the client's files are in order and that the information on them is accurate brings me a sense of inner peace. I find it very satisfying when things are tidy.


Here is a photo of the results of an STD test:




Some difficulties that I have encountered include the use of the software that is used to upload all of the client's data, the operating of some of the machines and answering the phones.

The software is not very intuitive and is a bit confusing to use but each time that I use it I grow more and more familiar with it.

Some of the machines involve several steps to get them working and remembering all of the steps is a little challenging. However, practice makes perfect!

Answering the phone is stressful because the clients ask questions which I do not know the answers to, so I have to go get one of my colleagues who are busy doing things so I feel quite useless. I will keep trying my best.


Here is a photo of me in the lab:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations and Tips to Make the Most of an Erasmus+ Trip

Okay, for starters, the language played a major role in the experience. I would highly recommend that one becomes familiar with the language...